UAE is a coastal desert area and its natural edible products mainly comprise of dates, marine diet and few other foodstuff items available in such areas. But most of the UAE, especially Dubai, has been transformed in to an international place and now food products from all around the world are available in the entire UAE, especially Dubai. This has been made possible by establishing a disciplined procedure for food products business in Dubai. Like many other businesses, foods products business is a very profitable business due to tax and duty free facilities along with the opportunity to set up the business in several free zones in Dubai.
According to the rules and regulations of Dubai, food product registration is necessary for import and re-export of any food product in Dubai. The registration process is regularized by Dubai Municipality (DM) through its Food Import & Re-export Service (FIRS). Through this food product registration system, the government of Dubai makes sure that only the highest quality food product is imported and re-exported from the country. FIRS is necessary for services regarding: import of food, import of food for the purpose of re-export, issuing health certificates etc.
But there are few important things to consider before applying for registration of food products in Dubai.
- You can’t apply for products with banned ingredients like alcohol and poppy seeds.
- Ingredients present in the food product must be mentioned.
- Only purely food items are registered trough FIRS. Non-eatable items like cigarettes and food supplements are not registered through this process.
- Ingredients present in food product must be mentioned either in Arabic or English.
- FIRS will immediately reject your application if the food product you apply for is already registered with another name or account.
- There are several things necessary to be mentioned on the product like brand name, product name, production & expiration dates, net weight and others.
- Few food additives are banned in UAE including: fast yellow A B, yellow 2 G, Amaranth, patent blue V, potassium bromate etc.
Process of food product registration in Dubai:
- The applicant will visit the official website of DM and login by using business user name and password.
- In the ‘Available Services’ section, you will select the option of “New Food Import & ReExport Service”.
- After checking the availability of food item in FIRS, the applicant will select the ‘Food Item Registration Request’.
- Now enter the details of these items. Mandatory fields are marked with (*) sign. Other fields are optional.
- After entering details, upload label and product image.
It is necessary to be registered with Dubai Municipality (DM) before importing or re-exporting any food product. Registration process from DM requires following documents:
- Trade license of company
- Company’s email
- Company’s telephone and fax number
- Company’s P.O. Box number
- Details of company’s location in Dubai
- Company representative’s name and mobile number.
If you are interested in registration of food product in Dubai and want to complete the whole procedure without any nuisance, then we at Riz & Mona Consultancy can provide you complete solution of the problem. We have years of experience in setting up businesses in Dubai and other emirates of UAE. You can contact us via email [email protected]