In the UAE, the need for excellent education is increasingly rising. Demand is already exceeding supply, according to education business leaders. That is why educational providers who provide the kind of education that UAE residents are searching for can expect in the coming years to earn rewards. Ideally situated as a bridge between the East and West, as a new and vibrant region, Dubai has established a distinct identity. As a leading trade and finance centre, it maintains a worldwide reputation and continues to deliver outstanding investment prospects.
Successful social development policies, such as the recruiting, development and retention of qualified local and foreign talent, focus on sustainable economic growth. For this to happen, the continuous development of high-quality private education is necessary. One of the main aspects of social infrastructure which must continue to evolve and develop is education that follows international benchmarks. However, you would first need to seek permission from the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) if your educational institution plans to start providing some sort of education services in Dubai.
What is the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA)?
The KHDA was established in 2006 to govern the private education system in Dubai (it is governed independently from the rest of the UAE) and requires new companies to perform a series of steps before they start operating. Dubai has always been the educational centre of the UAE, compared to any other emirates, with considerably higher numbers of private and international educational centres. For this purpose, the government of Dubai introduced the KHDA to ensure that providers offer a high level of education. The KHDA has the right to audit schools, assess them publicly, and also impose penalties to incompetent organizations. KHDA ensures that high-quality technical and vocational education is offered, thereby satisfying the different educational needs of Dubai citizens and employers.
Steps to Obtain KHDA’s Approval for the Institute
The following procedures would need to be completed for any business who wishes to start up an educational institution in Dubai.
Step 1 – Selecting the Type of Education and Location
The KHDA receives applications for a very broad range of activities related to schooling, from early childhood programs to private tutoring, on-the-job learning and training for management. Evidently, based on the type of service you intend to deliver, the application procedure differs. In terms of location, you would definitely want to be located in the Dubai International Academic City if you are a provider of higher education.
Step 2 – Completing your Registration Plan
This is the most critical and time-taking step in applying for KHDA approval in Dubai. You are expected to finalize a comprehensive (business) plan for registration. This would contain information regarding:
- Introduction to your organisation – showing your purpose and the value you provide
- Needs analysis – demonstrating demand for your type of training
- Shareholder information
- Staff experience – including relevant qualifications
- Training services – according to the KHDA’s classification
- Non-training services – details of other activities
- Certification – information on the kinds of certificate you provide
- Resources and facilities – including equipment and classrooms
- Marketing – showing how you hope to spread the word about your brand
- Customer recruitment process
- Undertakings – detail undertakings which show you are aware of applicable regulations
- A list of training courses you will provide and appendices
Step 3 – Completing the Application Form
Next up, you are required to complete an educational service permit form. The form is fairly simple to complete, although it’s always useful to have the guidance of a company formation specialist when undertaking any of these steps.
Step 4 – Collating the Required Paperwork
To go along with your application, you will need to collate relevant paperwork. This will include the following documentation:
- Name reservation from the relevant commercial authority and initial approval
- Application form (all fields should be typed)
- Registration plan
- Colour passport copies of all shareholders of the institute
- Colour passport copy of director/manager of the institute
- Notary public signature for each shareholder and the manager
- Director/manager CV
- Qualification certificates for the manager
- Undertaking from the manager attesting that they will manage the training institute full-time, and including the proposed working hours
- Course list
- If one of the shareholders is corporate, then include board resolution from mother company announcing the establishment of the institute in Dubai / certificate of good standing
Besides this paperwork related to the institute itself, you will also need to provide copies of your trade license, a tenancy contract if you operate from premises, and an environmental health and safety certificate, if relevant.
Step 5 – Submitting your Application
Your application needs to be submitted to the KHDA services portal. You will also need to pay any relevant fees as part of your application process. Depending on your application, final approval can be delivered in a matter of days for smaller operations, or you may have a lengthier wait if you are a larger outfit.
Private Schools Permit Issuance in Dubai
In order to obtain a private school permit in Dubai, you need to submit the following documents to the KDHA
- Application Form
- Hard copy and soft copy of academic Plan
- Reference letter of the Proposed location from the landlord
- School Location Address
- Trade name registered with a commercial authority
- Lease Agreement or Land Deed of the School Property
- Copy of commercial/professional license from the commercial authority
- Memorandum & Article of Association (M.O.A & A.O.A)
- Completion Certificate copy issued by Dubai Municipality or Free Zone Authority
- EHS certificate copy issued by the competent Health and Safety Authority
- Signed Certificate of Authorization in the template provided
- Annual calendar for the current academic year in the template provided
- Signed Undertaking in the template provided
Higher Educational Institutes Licensing Process in Dubai
To get a higher education institution permit or license in Dubai, you have to submit the documents mentioned below and follow the given steps:
- Creating an account on the Ministry of Education (MOE) website
- Studying the application by the MOE
- Holding a meeting with the officials from the educational institutes
- evaluate the education institute through a visit by an external committee
- An evaluation report will be created and sent to the institute
- Reply to the committee report by the institute
- The report will be returned If recommendations of the committee are not applied
- Institute will reply to the committee after fulfilling all recommendations
- The Deputy minister’s office will be sent a letter of recommendation for licensing
Why Set Up an Educational Institution in Dubai?
One of the appealing aspects of obtaining a license for an educational organization is that you get 100% foreign ownership. This ensures that the educational training institute will now be managed and run by you, without the need to work with an external shareholder. In addition, when setting up an educational institute in Dubai, you would have the right to select the perfect space for the institution anywhere in the mainland or free zone. The presence of international educational institutes in the region is another advantageous field. This helps you to partner with other foreign program and educational brands and associate with them. If you want to get a professional license in mainland Dubai instead of a free zone, you will have no limitations and will be able to enter a wide variety of markets. Apart from the final target audience, you will even contract with major corporations, school organizations, government departments.
Consulting a Company Formation Expert
It may be a challenging task to apply for KHDA approval. The precise measures you need to take can differ, based on the type of education you intend to deliver. This is where collaborating alongside an expert in the formation of a company reduces the headache and offers true peace of mind. You would have access to a market that is ready to learn once you’re registered and set up.
It has never been simpler to start up your own company. Riz and Mona Consultancy takes care of everything so that you can concentrate on what counts, developing your business. Call us today to book your appointment for more details regarding business forming in the UAE mainland or free zones.