Trading of food products has a vast scope in Dubai and UAE. It is the reason that individuals and companies from around the world are involved in this business. UAE government imposed strict rules for food product registration in Dubai. An important part of the food registration process is label assessment.
Food Product Label Assessment in Dubai
Food product registration process in Dubai is mainly managed by the Dubai Municipality (DM) through its electronic FIRS (Food Import and Re-export System) program. This department has the authority to check the labeling of products and conduct laboratory tests for examining. Federal authority ESMA (Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology) also assists DM during this process.
There are two main steps for the approval of labeling on food products. These include registration of packaging barcode and laboratory tests.
Registration of Packaging Barcode
The first requirement is the registration of Barcode on packages. It is necessary that packages of the same product must have similar barcodes. These barcodes are necessary to be unique.
The second requirement is to pass the laboratory tests regarding the presence of listed ingredients in the food product. It is necessary to test a sample of the intended food products by Dubai Central Laboratory, any accredited lab in UAE or from a specific accredited lab from outside UAE.
Labeling Information on Food Products
The following information must be provided on a food product label:
- Brand Name
- Product Name
- Volume or Net Weight
- Food Ingredients (arrange in descending order according to their weight/volume)
- Dates of Production and Expiration
- Conditions for storage of product
- Product’s Barcode
- Country of Origin
- Nutritional Information (optional)
- Lot Number
- Ingredients with hypersensitivity (if any)
- Name of food manufacturer, distributor or importer
- Labels must be mentioned in the Arabic language.
Reasons for Rejection of Food Labeling
Labeling a product is a mandatory process and a mistake or lack of information in the process can result in rejection of the entire product registration. Therefore, it is important to avoid these mistakes that may result in rejection from authorities. Following are the main reasons that can cause problems during the food label assessment process.
- Using alcohol, poppy seeds or other banned ingredients
- If label information is difficult to read due to any reason
- Not mentioning the ingredients of a product
- Ingredients in a language other than English or Arabic
- Presence of any inappropriate picture or religious sign
- Non-approval from Ministry of Health
- Non-food items like cigarettes or supplements
- You may also be required to provide a sample of your product.
You can consult with Dubai Municipality for the food label approval process. This process can be done online or through traditional procedures. DM will review the whole information on the product label and decide about the approval. It is important to note that food product label approval is mandatory for every item imported or manufactured in Dubai.
Due to the importance of this process, it is advisable to take the services of a formidable consultancy firm that provides assistance in this matter. We at RIZ & MONA Consultancy provide the best services for food product registration in Dubai and UAE. You can contact us via our WhatsApp # 971-54-5821012.