Countless non-Emirates nationality holders are currently residing in different parts of the UAE. They are allowed to bring their family members to the country. For that, they need a UAE family visa. But there are certain requirements and steps that need to be followed in order to obtain the permit. This guide covers all the aspects of the family visa in the UAE and provides details of the complete process. Scroll down to learn everything about this permit and bring in your family right away.
Complete Guide on UAE Family Visa
The process involves certain documentation, steps, and eligibility criteria that your family members should meet if they want to come to the UAE. We will discuss these aspects one by one:
Requirements to Sponsor a Family Member
You must meet the requirements listed below in order to be able to sponsor family members to move to the UAE:
- Female expatriates must earn a minimum of AED 10,000 or AED 8,000 per month, with housing.
- Male foreign workers must earn at least AED 4,000 per month or AED 3,000 per month plus housing.
Besides that, every family member who is older than 18 must also pass a medical fitness examination at a UAE health facility approved by the government. They will be examined for TB and HIV.
You cannot sponsor your spouse if you are in a same-sex relationship; the UAE does not recognize a marriage of the same gender.
There are no particular occupations or professions that are qualified to sponsor their family members for a UAE Family Visa as of 2019. Anyone employed abroad who earns the required wage is legally permitted to bring their family members to the United Arab Emirates.
The family member must already be present in the UAE after traveling there with the entry visa in order to apply for the family visa.
A family visa in Dubai, UAE is granted depending on the employment contract and the type of work being done. After entering the UAE, resident sponsors have 60 days to apply for the dependents’ residency visas.
Following are the documents that you must have for family sponsorship, UAE:
- Passport copies of the sponsored family member/s (valid for six months)
- Original 6-month company or personal bank statement of the company – for employer or investor
- 4 Passport size pictures of the spouse and children with a white background
- Memorandum & Articles of Association copy of the company – for an investor or employer
- Original Emirates ID of sponsor
- Color copy of the trade license – for an investor or employer
- Insurance copy of the sponsor
- a medical certificate of good health for the wife and children who are older than 18.
- Latest utility bills under the name of the sponsor
- Original marriage certificate attested in the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UAE Embassy, and the home country and translated into the Arabic language
- Ejari or registered tenancy contract of the house of the sponsor
- Original birth certificate of the child attested in the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UAE Embassy, and the home country and translated into the Arabic language
- Original labor contract or employment contract of the sponsor
- Residence visa and passport color copy of the sponsor
- Original salary certificate from the employer stating the employee’s monthly salary as proof of earning. For people working in a free zone company, they will need a letter from the relevant free zone authority in Arabic.
How to Apply for the Entry Permit in the UAE
The person who is sponsoring the visas for his/her family has to first apply for an entry permit to enter the Emirates before submitting an application for a UAE family residence visa. You can apply for an admission permit for your family members at one of the following locations:
You can apply either in person or online through the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs – GDRFA. If you choose to submit an application in person, you must do it through one of the Amer centers in Dubai or one of the GDRFA’s authorized typing centers located in every Emirate.
- FAIC Dubai (Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship)
- The mobile applications for Android and Apple platforms
- The ICA’s eChanel portal
- You can download the GDRFA Dubai mobile phone applications for Android in the Google play store and for Apple in the Apple store.
How to Apply for UAE Family Visa
Since the UAE family visa is a kind of residency visa, you must apply for it on your family members’ behalf once they have arrived in the UAE with an entry permit. GDRFA or the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs offices in the relevant emirate are the authority where you have to submit your application for a family visa.
Validity of UAE Family Visa
It is possible to renew a family visa for the UAE at least 30 days before it expires and it can be given for 1, 2, or 3 years. Because family visas are dependent on the sponsor, their visas will likewise be invalid if the sponsor’s visa expires or is canceled.
Dependent family members, on the other hand, get a 30-day grace period during which they can check to see if they can renew their residence visa or not.
If you satisfy the UAE family visa requirements, you can usually get the permit between 10 and 15 working days. It could take longer to get approvals from the relevant emirate’s immigration department.
Sponsoring Family Members
You can easily sponsor your family members and bring them to the UAE. But there are certain things that you should keep in mind before bringing them to the UAE. Here are some things that you should keep in mind when sponsoring your family members:
If expatriate residents, both employers, and employees, have a current residency permit, they can sponsor their parents in the UAE. In addition to that, a foreign employee may sponsor them for a year of residence by providing a deposit as a guarantee for each parent in accordance with the requirements of the relevant immigration authority body.
For getting a resident visa, the candidate who is being sponsored must pass a security inspection, submit to a medical examination, and demonstrate their physical fitness.
The Department of Naturalisation and Residency Dubai (DNRD) requires a minimum salary of AED 20,000 to sponsor parents for a UAE sponsor visa or UAE family residency visa. It is recommended to verify the terms and conditions in other emirates.
In order to sponsor their wives, the resident sponsor must submit an authenticated marriage certificate. Translation of the certificate into Arabic by a certified translator is required.
Sponsoring Wife and Children
For a male resident who is employed in the UAE, it is permissible to sponsor his wife and children, as long as he meets certain requirements, including having a minimum salary of AED 4,000 or AED 3,000 (USD 816.76) per month plus housing.
Please be aware that if a man lives in the UAE and qualifies to sponsor his children, the mother cannot do the same.
Sponsoring Two Wives
The respective GDRFA may allow a Muslim resident to sponsor two wives if certain terms and conditions are met.
Residents can sponsor their sons if they are under the age of 18. The kid can be sponsored after the age of 18 till the age of 21 if he is enrolled in school, whether it is in the UAE. He must, however, visit the UAE at a minimum once every six months in order for his residency visa to remain valid. The residency permit is issued valid for one year and is extendable till the student completes his studies.
Only unmarried daughters can be sponsored by residents in the UAE.
Expatriate residents are allowed to sponsor their stepchildren if they match the conditions of GDRFA. One of the conditions is that sponsors need to write NOC (No-Objection Certificate) from the biological parent and submit it for each child. Residence visas in the UAE are valid for up to one year and can be renewed every year.
Process to Renew UAE Sponsor Visa or UAE Family Visa?
After your family’s visa expires, the UAE government gives them 30 days to apply for a new residence permit. The dependents would be considered illegal residents and could be required to pay a fee if the employee does not renew the visa of his dependents within the grace period or earlier.
Visit the website of GDRFA – Dubai to renew your UAE family visa by choosing the necessary service and providing the asked paperwork. The following criteria must be met in order to renew a UAE family residence visa:
- an original receipt registered with ICA to get a renewal or a renewed ID card that you got from ICA.
- a sponsor with a valid residency permit
- Insurance card (Required for Abu Dhabi and Dubai)
- Clearing a medical fitness test for people who are above the age of 18
If the family visa is expired and your family is still staying in the UAE, they can be fined for some amount as set by the UAE immigration’s fines system, which is as follows:
- AED 25 each day during the first 180 days (6 months)
- AED 50 each day during the second 180 days (6 months)
- AED 100 each day after passing one year and more.
Documents Required for Renewing UAE Sponsor Visa or UAE Family Visa
UAE family visa or sponsor visa must be renewed with the following documents based on the sponsor’s category:
- Pictures of the sponsored
- Online application or application, signed by the sponsor, via a registered typing office for renewal of UAE residency visa, whether the personal sponsor or public or private sector firm.
- Original passport of the sponsored
Those sponsoring their relatives of the first and second degree, parents, wives, children, and parents must provide the following documents:
- Recent utility bill
- Copy of the company contract for investors or husband’s/wife’s employment contract
- Authentic marriage certificate
- Registered tenancy contract
- Salary certificate from the employer stating the monthly salary of the sponsor
Private sector employers must also submit the following documents at the time of applying for visa renewal:
- a copy of the labor card renewal receipt for people who are of age 60 or above.
- Copy of a legal company card
- Copy of renewed labor card of the sponsored
- Copy of a legal trade license
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible for a family visa in Dubai?
Spouse, husband, children, stepchildren, and relatives of the first and second degree are eligible for a family visa in Dubai. But there are certain requirements that should be met before they can get the permit. Read our guide on the UAE family visa to learn more.
How can I get a family visit visa in UAE?
You can get a family visit visa in UAE by providing certain documents as per requirements. You need to visit the GDRFA offices to submit your application for a family visa. Your family members must have an entry permit before applying for a visa.
How long does it take to get a family visa in UAE?
It entirely relies on the paperwork you provide. The visa will be issued in 3–4 working days if all the necessary paperwork is submitted and meet immigration rules and regulations.
Can I work on a family visa in UAE?
Yes, you can, work with a family visa in the UAE. Although simply a Residence Visa itself does not qualify as a work permit, the spouse would still need to apply for one in order to be eligible for employment in the UAE.
Get Your UAE Family Visa with Riz and Mona
UAE family visa lets employers in UAE bring their families there. You can get your UAE family visa with Riz and Mona. We will take care of the process and help you get your visa in no time. Contact us today and allow us to handle the application on your behalf.
If you want to start a new business in Dubai or open a new company in the UAE, you can get in touch with Riz and Mona. Our company formation professionals have years of experience dealing with all types of clients to meet their unique requirements. Book a free appointment now and start your business in Dubai, UAE right away.