Dubai is one of the few destinations which enables you to import, produce, export, and re-export products in large quantities with such ease across the globe. Slowly but steadily, UAE has established itself as a renowned country for providing ease to various businesses and Dubai is at the heart of this transition. There are many activities that companies indulge themselves in which are legally allowed by the UAE for the import and export business. One of these activities is the electronic cigarettes industry; the Dubai government made the sale of these legal back in 2019 on 15th April. Having mentioned that, the sale of these products still has to go through a tedious process and that is what we will be discussing in this article.
Electronic Cigarettes Product Registration Process in Dubai
The first thing to understand is that all the products under the “electronic cigarettes” category have to be registered with the Emirates Standardisation and Metrology Authority (ESMA). If the products are not registered then the authority reserves the right to seize all the products and impose a hefty fine. In order to properly produce, package, and distribute electronic cigarette products, you will need to attain a compulsory product registration regulation from the Dubai government. This license is mandatory and the Municipality of Dubai is responsible for processing this application.
As mentioned before, the first step is to attain a license from Emirates Standardisation and Metrology Authority (ESMA). Once you have received it, you will be allowed to purchase and sell electronic cigarette products without any further approvals. This process is part of UAE’s efforts to promote the concept of one-window administration which is mainly implemented to save time for both parties and enhance all the processes.
Note: ESMA’s compliance assessment department implements the product safety certification system, referred to as the UAE compliance assessment scheme (ECAS).
Benefits of Electronic Cigarettes Product Registration in Dubai
In order to run any successful business without facing many hurdles, you need to do things by the book. This is beneficial for both parties as you can run your business without any worries and without being hit by penalties from left, right, and center.
Similarly, the main purpose of electronic cigarettes product registration is to avoid being in a position that can ruin your brand value. In addition to that, here are some additional benefits which are equally if not more important:
- Label Protection
- Brand Protection
- Import, Export, and Re-export Rights
- Hassle-Free Trade Within and Outside of UAE
These are all extremely important things you will benefit from after successfully registering your electronic cigarette products in Dubai. This will enable you to take your business to the next level.
UAE Guidelines for Electronic Cigarette Products
Many people who are already running an electronic cigarette-related business are unaware of the basic guidelines, so if you are just starting out then it is absolutely mandatory for you to have this information at your disposal. The UAE government has some underlying guidelines for the manufacture, sale, and import of electronic cigarettes. The manufacturers are bound to follow these guidelines alongside the importers and the retailers. In addition to that, it is also good to know that e-cigarettes also fall under the same tax bracket as other cigarette products.
Requirements to Register Electronic Cigarette Products with ESMA
Here is a breakdown of all the things you will require during the registration process with the ESMA. This breakdown is important because the process can be extremely tedious as this category directly impacts the health of people and UAE takes extra precaution when dealing with anything of that nature, which also includes things such as supplements, medicine, and so on.
- Commercial License
- The license needs to be valid, otherwise, the application will be canceled
- Trademark registration with UAE authorities
- This will boost your chances to have your application accepted because this is one of the mandatory steps that need to be completed
- The manufacturing plants must be following minimum specifications as per the QMS Manual
- The proof of this must be presented to the authorities
- Ethylene Glycol, Diethyl Glycol, Formaldehyde
- Similarly, usage of all three ingredients must be presented alongside their amount as well
- Emirates Enforcement Assessment Scheme (ECAS) name mark certificate
- Submission of a test report in UAE for the usage of materials mentioned in clause 4.1.11 ISO 17025 and SGSO 5030
- The results of these must not be older than a year
- Composition of Nicotine, Caffeine, Taurine, Acetone, and heavy metal concentrations such as Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Chrome, Nickel, Iron, Fluoride, and Tin.
- Manufacturer risk mitigation report
- Ownership of Distribution
- Notice of compliance with Standard GSO ISO 8317
- This basically identifies whether the packaging fulfills child safety precautions or not
These are all the basic requirements that are required in order to successfully complete your application. In order to get help during the process, Riz & Mona Consultancy provides all the services and you can contact our experts for further information.
Step-by-Step Process of Electronic Cigarette Registration Process
The UAE Compliance Assessment Scheme (ECAS) has presented a plan under which all the products must be applied for and obtain a COC compliance certificate for the customs clearance and sales pass.
The ECAS certificate does not only contain a safety certificate but also covers performance tests, functions inspection, hazardous substances detection along with other factors.
ECAS Registration Safety Regulation
- ECAS Registration of Electronic Cigarette Devices
- ECAS Registration of Electronic Cigarette Label
- ECAS Registration of Electronic Cigarette RoHS
- Submission of other relevant data i.e. test reports, etc.
Registration Process of ECAS
- Register an account on the ESMA website
- Submit an application for a compliance certificate
- Upload all the document required and mentioned on the website
- Attach the proof of the fees paid to the authorities
Once you have fulfilled all the steps then you will have to wait for the confirmation and once all your documents have been reviewed, the organization will send you confirmation.
Information Preparation for ECAS Application
This point has been extensively been discussed above but here is a summary of the things that are required for the successful processing of your application:
- Valid UAE business license
- Certifications for materials that the electronic cigarette factory meets the requirements of the ISO 9001 quality system
- Safety regulation registration proof for devices, label, and RoHS
- Test report of product packaging, which should be in accordance with GSO, ISO, and 8317 standards
- Test report for the e-liquid production, nicotine output doses, etc.
- Electronic file compliance statement
Important Tests Reports to be Submitted
- RoHS tests
- GSO, IEC, 60335-1
- GSO, IEC, 62133
- Packaging tests GSO, ISO, 8317
- Vapor Emission Tests EU TPD
- E-Liquid composition analysis report
Please Note: We do not provide any assistance regarding Electronic Cigarettes Product Registration. Read more about our company and how we strive to bring business services to our clients.